Pages


Sunday, February 20, 2011

Question Regarding the Training of Team Sport Athletes

This might be a little off the wall, I don't, but as I was getting ready to go at eat my friend Jack Fife's house today (we had BBQ ribs, which were very good and homemade blueberry cobbler) this thought ran though my mind:  "How do we train a football player (insert any type athlete here) to run a 4.4 forty play after play for the entire game?"   It seems to me that running a 4.4 on the first play of the game doesn't mean much if by the end of the game the guy is running 5.4.  You might say that the guy needs more conditioning.  Ok.  I get that.  I guess what I am getting at is can or should we be training for power output for say, 5 reps, instead of 1 rep max as we get closer to the season.

Just to give you an example, I will just make up some numbers.  Let's say we are squatting 100kg for 5 reps and our goal is to produce 1000 watts of power (+/- 10% for each rep).  If we produce the necessary power output on each rep we get to increase the weight for the next set.  If we don't, then we stay with the same weight for the next set.  Will we get stronger doing this?  Will the 1 rep max increase or decrease?  Training this way, does the 1 RM even matter?

Another question is, "Can we apply this to a game situation?"  For instance, let's take our squat again.  Let's say there 60 plays in a game that lasts about 3-4 sec per play with about 45 sec between plays with each drive consisting of 6 plays.  Just for round numbers, again let's say that your are off the field for 5 min. between series.  Can we set our squat workout up so that we do 10 sets of six with a 5 min rest in between each set?  Again, remember we are trying to produce the same power output on each rep.

I have read some of Bosco's stuff on this, but to be honest I can't remember it.

As I said in the beginning this may be a little (probably a lot) off the wall but I would really like to hear some comments from you about this.  Even if it is just to say "You're Nuts."

Thanks.            

No comments:

Post a Comment