Pages


Tuesday, February 15, 2011

If I were King

Almost everyday, parents of prospective athletes ask me the same questions or make the same statements.  "My son needs to be stronger."  Or "Can you make my son run faster?"  The answer is always, yes, of course I can.  That's pretty easy.  With the age I deal with, anything you do with them will make them stronger and faster.  Both their chronological age and their training age have a lot to do with that.  But there are some things that parents can do to help the process along.

Most of the kids I get are horribly out of shape.  They can't do a push up or pull up.  They will even tell you they have no balance.  Their work capacity is very low.  Skinny ones.  Fat ones.  It doesn't matter.  Even the ones that perform well on the field have these same problems.  Why is this?  Well, I think the problem is 2 fold.  One is the youth league system and the other is the parents themselves.

For today, let's talk about what parents can do to help correct this problem.  First of all, we have a technology problem.  It's not that we don't have or understand how to use technology, it's that we understand and use too much technology.  Gee, how did us old folks ever get around without our cell phones?  How about taking away the video games and the cell phones and tell our kids to go outside and play?  I have had parents tell me they can't take the video game away because Johnny likes it.  Or all his friends have one and they play against each other.  So?  Show some sac Mom and Dad.  Take the dadgummed thing away.  It is killing your kid.

After we have gotten rid of the video games, the kids are finally going to say I want to go to Tommy's house to play.  What do we do?  We pile him into the nice air conditioned car and drive him over there.  WRONG!!  Make him walk, run or ride his bike over there.

How about taking your kids hunting or hiking in the woods?  I don't mean sitting in a deer stand all day.  I mean stalking the deer.  If you aren't a hunter, then hiking in the woods is a good time.  Either way, let them explore outside, climb trees, run up and down the hills or mountains.  If you don't live in the country, go to a state park or city park.  The cost is minimal.  Take a ball or frisbee with you and play games.

There many other things that you can do if you use your imagination.  The key thing is to get the kids out of the house, off the TV and video games.  Get them moving and doing something.

Next post will be my thoughts on Youth Leagues.        

No comments:

Post a Comment